Thursday, February 24, 2011

Back in the saddle again....

Week so far...

Last post was sort of a cheat... I wrote it but it was incomplete and I turned it in for partial credit...

THIS WEEK (ta da da) (okay, just imagine the dramatic introduction...) I started logging my workouts in the official "The Triathlete's Training Diary, by Joe Friel"  Yay!!!  Here's how it works:  You write your weekly plan, then you put in what you "REALLY" do.  I like undershooting, so when I do more, I feel really proud of myself :)!  It all worked pretty well until today.  Ummm... today I had some intestinal upset (read:  the dreaded "Starts with D and ends with arrea".  Run, definitely out (since I'm doing that already), butttttt (yeah, pun intended) I planned an AWESOME cycle class for tonight!!! (and I needed to get my daily training in)  So what does an IronGirl do?  She just takes some immodium and ignores the problem!! After all, the show must go on, right?

So tonight's class went as follows:  Feeling good, selling the concept..."We've got a great show tonight ladies and gentlemen"... no wait.. that's the "Saturday Night Live" intro my brain is going into because it is trying to divert the attention from my digestive system that is not "on task" tonight.  Seriously though, I did have an amazing class planned for tonight.  It was going as planned except for:  my iPod playlist happened to skip a few key songs..... no problem, I have a geeky musical brain that can improvise with my lightning fast fingers to find a song (of the 4 thousand that I have on my 160GB classic iPod) to make it seamless.  Seriously, I am THAT big of a music dork!  Problem one solved!!!  Yessssss!(Quote from Napoleon Dynamite)

Problem #2:  (LITERALLY):  20 minutes into class.... you know that feeling,  yeah, THAT feeling.  Okay if you are at home, but NOT okay when you are teaching a cycling class.

Skip forward (because I don't want to be categorized with those "TMI" friends)  I successfully managed the situation.  We had a great class!  I explained that I  wasn't feeling well so I was holding back a little so I could focus on my class a little more (and THAT'S putting an ultimate SPIN on SPIN instruction my friends)  LOL!!!  Kidding aside,  we all have those days that we are not "on our game" so to speak.  The biggest challenge is keeping the motivation alive and doing our job!  On the flip side, we need to be cognizant of others in our class that may be getting over an illness or possibly overtraining.  If someone is not pushing as hard as you think they can, try to nudge them, but be understanding if they don't.

You just never know....

No comments:

Post a Comment