Friday, February 11, 2011

But I don't want to "Listen to my body"

Today was supposed to be a "long swim day".  Instead, it is 2:30 pm, I'm still in my pajamas and in bed, contemplating a nap despite the fact I slept until noon.  Yes, I really don't want to "listen to my body", but I think it won today.  In fact, I think it is punishing me for not listening to it when it requested a rest and recovery on Tuesday, but I didn't listen.

Auuugghhh!!!  A year ago, I would have cherished a day like today.  House was cleaned yesterday, husband is out of town, no classes to teach.... but today I am just thinking about the training that I am missing.  Ever since I took the leap and signed up for the IronGirl, I have been obsessed with staying ahead of my training schedule.  Unfortunately, by body is not following my schedule very well.

It all started Tuesday morning when I woke up with my throat on fire.  I gargled some salt water grabbed some Halls throat lozenges, and went on with my day, running the kids to school, teaching a noon spin class, picking up the kids, teaching a 5:00 kid's spin class, and all the nighttime dinner/homework/etc..

Wednesday, woke up with throat feeling much worse, achy feeling, stuffy head, even a little nauseated.  No worries though, Wednesdays are my "rest" days. I told myself, okay,  this is my "One" day to be sick, then I will get over it and start again tomorrow.

Thursday,  up early to get my kids to school and husband to the airport for his hunting trip. (luckily he is a doctor)  My throat feels like raw hamburger and now my lymph nodes in my neck are swollen and sore.  I mention to husband, aka: Chuck, that I *might* need some antibiotics.  He checks my symptoms and concurs.  I pick up my prescription, take one pill, but I still feel like I need to do my run and teach my spin class, despite my sore throat.  (I'm on the road to recovery right).  I did the best I could to reach 2 miles (after doing 5 last week)  I taught a great class, but was ready to crash afterwards, and then, well today is totally shot.

Point is,  as much as we hate to, we have to "listen to our bodies".  After all, they will always win the battle....(much like a spoiled brat).  We can convince our mind that we are okay, but the body needs what it needs.... and sometimes it is rest.  I surrendered today, and I hope my body will give me the power to train tomorrow.

DISCOVER YOUR INNER STRENGTH, BUT LISTEN TO YOUR WEAKNESS. It will make you stronger in the long run...

Party on!

Kerri

1 comment:

  1. Hehe. I always do that. I give my body one day to get well, because I just don't have time to bother with being sick...it's usually a weekend day. It rarely works. Hope you're on the mend-I'm sure you'll be back to kicking butt and taking names in no time!

    ReplyDelete